Thursday, December 9, 2010

Buffing

     Many people wonder how they get guitars, pianos, and other instruments so shiny. Well I'll tell you. In order to achieve this "Piano Key" finish the secret is buffing. Buffing is when a paste or compound is applied with a rag or Buffing Wheel to the surface until desired shine can be seen. I used a buffing Compound from Stew Mac, a guitar parts company. I also bought a foam buffing wheel from them that can attach to a to a drill for easy maneuvering.
     To buff, I had someone hold the guitar in front in order to reach every crevice. I applied 2 coats and then wiped the excess off with a clean rag. After buffing I applied Stew Mac Swirl Remover to the surface, sides, and back. This got rid of any marks that the powered wheel might have made. Now we have gloss.

No comments:

Post a Comment