Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Installation

     The next step in making this guitar is to install the parts and accessories. First I installed the Nickel Plated Les Paul Golden Age Humbucker Pickups. To do this I ran the wires through the holes I drilled previously in order to meet at the bottom with the volume and tone knobs. Some sanding had to be done for the pickups to fit back into the routed holes. Then I fitted the nickel plated bridge on a 5 degree angle to the body and installed the rhythm/ treble toggle switch.
     These parts were installed first because they all contain wires that must be soldered to the volume and tone bases at the bottom right portion of the guitar. The other accessories will be installed after soldering is completed because in order to solder, the guitar must be stable and face down on a mat with no ambiguities. The heat from the melted metal can also damage the small and delicate parts. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! It is amazing to see how much effort is put into making a guitar, and an electric one in specific. All the painting, re-coating, wiring, electronics, carving, and even more is so much work. After I read a series of your blogs I found it to be really quite amazing. My little brother is an avid guitar player who has never made his own guitar, who instead just goes to the store to purchase one. Even though I am sure that making guitar could be a lot of hard work, I'm sure that it can grow on you and become a great hobby. It seems that it is something that you and your dad really both enjoy, which is a great thing to share in common with your father. Very Interesting blog! Keep up the guitar craftsmanship!

    ReplyDelete