Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Dream

     In Spring 2008, I felt like I needed an outstanding project to complete. I am what you could say a handy man when working with wood, paint, and mechanics. My dad and I came up with the idea of building a 1957 Gibson Gold Top Les Paul because it is one of our favorite guitars plus it's one of the most expensive to buy. This is the kind of thing that requires patients, skill, and a whole lot of measuring.
     This particular guitar is arguably the hardest to build from scratch because of the arced top of it. Most guitars are flat but since the Les Paul is curved, all the cutting and levelness has to compensate for the curve. The supplies for this project are almost endless so the basic materials which are VITAL are a 2'x1' block of pure Maple that is 2" thick, router, jig saw, belt sander, drill/drill press, 15 different grades of sand paper, stain, and a special mixture of gold paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment